Saturday, January 23, 2016

Backwards Mapping



       I plan on receiving my certification in Early Childhood Education.  I want to become a Kindergarten Teacher in the state of Maryland.  It is important to me that my lessons plans are very effective for Kindergarten is the foundation for the world of academia.  I want my students to learn and have fun while doing it.  

     The standard I chose from the Common Core Standard is RL2 CCR Determine Central Ideas or themes of a text and analyze their development; summarize the key supporting details and ideas.  I chose this standard because I am a avid reader, and I love reading. It was instilled in me by my parents and then furthered by my Kindergarten teacher.  Reading is an essential learning tool and a major part of life.  Reading is also so much fun.  If children learn to identify the parts of a story ( main idea, setting, character, plots, problems, solutions) they will better comprehend what they are reading.  This makes reading so much more enjoyable and effective.  This also helps them become great writers.

The three proficiencies that students should achieve are:
  1. Students should be able to Identify the elements of a story
  2. Identify key details in the literary text
  3. Retell story events in logical sequence
Based on these proficiencies the assessments that I would use are:
  1. Plenty of worksheets ( exit tickets to make sure they understand who characters are, what the setting is, the main idea and problem.  They will also be given worksheets to assess they know the sequence of a story.)
  2. Retelling me the 5 parts of a story. I would ask the class as a group to recite them as well as ask them individually.  (Oral assessment)
  3. Students will be able to chose any character from a story and create their own setting and plot and events. ( Written assessment)
Some activities that I would use to help are reading several stories to them outlaid and asking questions to prompt them to know who, what, wheres of the story.  This will be assisted with a visual board.  The students will have several example of this, until I can assess that as a group they understand.

I will also use worksheets that they can draw and label characters and the sequence of events.  Story maps. 
Another activity I would use is to have the students create their own stories with the parts, and present it as a Show and Tell project.  This way I will be able to assess the students orally and check their work to see if they understand the lesson.  It will also give them a chance to showcase their creativity.  

No comments:

Post a Comment