Monday, January 25, 2016

Understanding and Applying Standards

  As a future Kindergarten teacher it is very important to me that I am knowledgable of the lessons I teach.  How can I expect my students to fully understand if I don't?  I want to make sure that I am not only a fun and creative teacher, but an effective teacher as well.  As a teacher I need to make sure my students are learning what is required of them to succeed.  I need to be aware of the standards and how to apply them.
     In this Module I learned a lot about Standards, Unpacking Standards, Backwards Mapping, SMART and SWBAT. I am not a teacher, and all of these terms were unfamiliar to me.  Initially I was overwhelmed, but as the lessons progressed I realized that understanding these techniques is key to assisting me with effective lesson planning.  These are the tools I need to make my classroom productive.


     The first activity explained "Standards and Unpacking them."  Standards are guidepost for teachers.  They are used as tool to focus on what students are expected to learn.  Each state Department of Education creates standards for schools within the state. It was refreshing to know how to find the Standards.   Once I realized what the  standards were ,it bought me back to the Common Core and the No Child Left Behind Act.  I have not had a chance to experience this a teacher but as a mother of two I have.  There are many Pros and Cons to having a State Standard.  I have felt that many schools have developed a "Teach for the Test", philosophy.  These test only focus on Reading and Math and not enough on the other subjects such as Art, Science, and History.  I understand the plight of the instructor because they are given concise instructions on how and what to teach.  This "cookie cutter" method I feel stunts creativity.  I don't believe it allows enough techniques for differentiated learning.  The only pro I see is that it allows students who may have to move to another state the opportunity not to be lost with the curriculum, since everyone should be basically learning the same thing.    Learning to "Unpack a Standard", allowed me the opportunity to breakdown what was expected of me, from finding the nouns and verbs in the standard and locating the Big Idea.  This way I was crystal clear on the expectations. I just moved to Maryland this August, I am originally from New York.   This also allowed me to go and view the State of Maryland Standards for Kindergarten.  I was very surprised at  how much Kindergarten has changed in regards to the standards.  I feel that Kindergarten is becoming more  of a first grade class.  


     The next activity I was introduced to was "Backwards Mapping".  Backwards mapping is a process educators use to achieve specific learning goals.  It begins with the objective and then proceeds backwards creating lessons to reach the goals.  This method ensures that students are meeting their academic goal.   At first I had to really think about this, backwards mapping. Then I realized this is what I practice in my everyday life.  When I have an appointment I think of what time is my appointment? Where is it?, What time should I walk out the door? What time should  I be ready to walk out the door?  Using this strategy gave me time to analyze the standard, identify and  use my nouns, verbs, and Big Idea to develop activities to prepare my students for the lesson.  I learned a lot from my fellow cohort members and my instructor.  I am not familiar with all of the terminology of teaching, and I learned that the use of a graphic organizer can be very helpful when teaching my future Kindergarten class the Parts of a story.  
     I also received some insight on how to elaborate and clearly define my Objectives.  Which leads me into learning about SMART.  Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant,  and Time-Bound. These are the criteria used to maximize that your goals are reached.  I had to learn to clarify my objectives with SWBAT ( Students will be able to).  It is important to make sure your Objective is clear so you can really apply the SWBAT.  This lesson to me was a little harder than anticipated.  I had to learn to be very detailed in my objectives.  I watched the required video and the instructor made it quite clear on how to make your objective understandable.

    It took me awhile to truly grasp the concept.  After reviewing the comments from my instructor and fellow cohorts I actually resubmitted my 3rd assignment.  It is really important that I understand this lesson.  Understanding the key nouns and variety of  verbs to effectively describe my learning goals, is essential so that my future students can be productive learners.  As a career changer this Module is intimidating, but this is when I have to take on the attitude that I want my future students to take; that is to never give up!  I will keep on trying until I get it.  I look forward to learning much more from this Module.  This Module will further prepare me to becoming the great teacher I plan to be.  


 Backward Design Definition. (2013). Retrieved January 25, 2016, from http://edglossary.org/backward-design/

SWBAT: Communicating Learning Goals. (n.d.). Retrieved January 25, 2016, from https://www.teachingchannel.org/videos/making-lesson-objectives-clear 

 Why are standards important? | GreatKids. (n.d.). Retrieved January 25, 2016, from http://www.greatschools.org/gk/articles/why-are-standards-important/

 . (n.d.). Retrieved January 25, 2016, from http://www.educ.ualberta.ca/staff/olenka.bilash/best of bilash/SMART goals.html 

No comments:

Post a Comment